Drain Cleaning Could Help Avoid Clogs Over the Holidays
Another year has come and gone, and the holidays will be here in just a few short weeks! Though holiday celebrations may look different this year, most people are ready to celebrate and move forward into a new year. But is the house ready for the upcoming holiday seasons? Are the drains ready to handle extra guests staying at the house? Homeowners should use these next few weeks to prepare their drains for this year’s holiday celebrations.
Avoid Clogged Toilets
Clogged toilets are not a fun experience at any time of year. But when guests are spending the day or night at the house, it becomes even more of a hassle. The best way to avoid clogged toilets is to follow one simple rule: only flush toilet paper. Other products like tissues, baby wipes, makeup wipes, feminine products, cotton balls, Q-tips, paper towels, or anything else should get thrown out.
And if there is a lot of toilet paper being used, consider a second flush to break up some of the waste going down the toilet drain. When homeowners, their families, and their guests are mindful of what’s being flushed down the toilet, most toilet clogs can be prevented.
Schedule Professional Drain Cleaning
If a clogged toilet does happen, homeowners can try a few things before calling in a pro. First, try using a plunger. Most homes have one lying around somewhere, and it often can resolve small clogs. Homeowners could also try pouring hot water into the toilet along with some dish soap to soften the clog and make it easier to flush. However, if these home remedies don’t work, it’s time to call a professional for help.
They’ll often use one of the following drain cleaning methods:
- Drain snakes: These are flexible devices that are inserted into the drain, rotated to grab hold of the clog, and pulled out to remove it. It’s important that drain snakes are used by professionals. If they aren’t used properly, it could push the clog further down the pipe, making it harder to reach and remove.
- Hydrojetting: This method uses a blast of high-pressure water to remove stubborn clogs in the pipes and any other smaller buildup that may be forming. Again, this method should only be handled by professionals. High-pressure water is strong enough to cut through metal and open up holes in the pipes if not used properly.
Signs that Drain Cleaning May Be Needed
So what is the right time to get the drains cleaned? If homeowners notice any of the following signs, it’s a good time to get those drains cleaned.
- Slow drains: If the water seems to take forever to drain, there is likely a clog that is starting to form but hasn’t completely stopped water flow. If there is standing water, the pipe is completely clogged.
- Bad smells: Drains are specifically designed to minimize odors and trap sewer gases. Clogs can restrict the flow of the drains and cause those bad odors to enter the home.
- Frequent clogs: If homeowners experience frequent minor clogs, those simple home remedies may not be enough. There’s likely buildup on the sides of the pipes causing food particles, hair, and other waste to get stuck.
Additionally, homeowners should keep in mind that regular drain cleaning is a great type of preventative maintenance. Even if they aren’t experiencing these problems, it may be wise to clear out the drains to prevent these problems from happening in the future.
About Guardian Plumbing and Drain
Guardian Plumbing and Drain is a local Cobourg, ON plumber offering reliable solutions to a full range of plumbing problems. Their talented team arrives at the door fully-equipped to handle any plumbing or drain cleaning issue quickly and efficiently. Their contractors are committed to providing trusted solutions using high-quality materials to help customers enjoy the peace of mind they deserve.