On a chilly night, curling up in front of a cozy fireplace can bring comfort to your home and your family. Adding a gas log fireplace allows your household to enjoy the ambiance of a wood-burning fireplace without the mess and the safety risks. For fireplace installations and repairs, call Guardian Home Services. We provide same-day appointments for our neighbours in Cobourg, ON.
For an alternative to a traditional air conditioning system, call us to learn about our ductless mini split systems.
Benefits of Installing a Gas Log Fireplace
Adding a fireplace to your home can create a warm and cozy environment. Deciding to install a gas log fireplace instead of a wood fireplace can have numerous benefits. Some of the advantages can include:
- Quick, even heating with just a push of a switch or touch of a remote.
- Low maintenance, as gas log fireplaces don’t require matches, tinder, kindling or wood. This also means you don’t have to store firewood or worry about keeping it dry and free of pests and critters.
- More cost-effective, as you don’t have to buy firewood and kindling.
- Increased safety, as there isn’t a risk of stray embers that can cause harm to your home or your family.
What to Expect During a Gas Log Fireplace Installation
A gas log fireplace can bring comfort and warmth to your home. During the installation, you can expect the professionals to do the following:
- Install gas lines and hookups and secure the intakes.
- Add the burner and carefully place the logs in a way that makes them appear real.
- Add sand and rocks to evenly distribute heat.
- Add glowing embers to give it a more authentic look.
- If you have an existing wood-burning fireplace that you’re converting to a gas-log unit, the professionals can ensure your unit is rated for use with vented logs.
Gas log fireplaces do not require a chimney, so if your property doesn’t have one, you will not have to install a chimney and take on the extra work and costs.
Is a traditional heating system failing to properly warm your large building? Contact us to learn about our boiler services.
How to Properly Maintain a Gas Log Fireplace
To keep your gas log fireplace in good working condition, it’s important to perform proper maintenance. Some tasks you should complete can include:
- Schedule yearly maintenance and a tune-up with a professional.
- Ensure a contractor inspects the unit for gas leaks and other potential fire hazards.
- Wipe down the logs to remove dust and debris.
- Clean the wire connections.
- Clean the glass door.
- Check the gasket for cracks and missing pieces.
- Examine the outside vents for debris and damage.