When winter weather hits, you need your furnace to keep your family warm and to protect your home from harsh temperatures. That’s why when your unit malfunctions you need to take action quickly to get it repaired and restore heat to your home. Call Guardian Home Services for all of your furnace repair, maintenance and tune-up needs. We offer same-day appointments and emergency services to the Cobourg, ON area.
If you want to improve the air quality in your home, contact us to learn about our air quality services.
How to Properly Maintain Your Furnace
To keep your furnace running properly to help you combat Ontario’s winter, it’s important to keep it maintained. Some tasks you should perform regularly can include:
- Schedule a yearly inspection with a professional in the late spring or early fall.
- Change the filters at least every three months. This will help remove dust, pet dander and other debris from the air in your property.
- Install a carbon monoxide monitor and have it inspected by a professional during your yearly maintenance appointment.
- Have a professional inspect your furnace ducts to ensure they are sealed properly.
- Check the blower for any obstructions and apply lubrication if needed.
- Inspect the inside of the furnace chamber for defects that could include rust, holes and separated seams.
- Clean the burners with fresh water to remove dust and dirt.
- Clean the sensor and pilot with a wire brush and emery cloth.
- Check the “high limit” to prevent overheating.
- Check the gas meter to monitor the rate of fuel usage.
- Clean the area around the furnace to keep it free from debris.
Signs Your Furnace Needs Repairs
You don’t want to have your furnace malfunction in the middle of winter. To prevent this, it’s important to be aware of signs that can indicate your unit needs repairs so you can get them fixed before the system completely malfunctions. Some symptoms to watch for can include:
- Short cycling: If your system runs for less than three minutes before turning off, it can indicate a malfunctioning heat exchanger or a broken thermostat.
- Irregular flames: If the flames are uneven or lean toward the back of the furnace it can indicate a cracked heat exchanger, which can lead to serious problems.
- Unusual sounds: If you hear rumbling, popping, or whistling coming from the unit it can indicate a number of issues that should be inspected by a professional.
- Cracked heat exchanger: This can lead to a serious issue like a carbon monoxide leak. This should be inspected by a professional as soon as possible as it can cause serious health issues for your household.
Is the winter air and your heating system making your home too dry? Learn about our humidifier services.
Easy Ways to Make Your Furnace More Energy Efficient
Keeping your home warm in the winter months can take a toll on your energy bill. Fortunately, there are ways to make your unit more energy-efficient and help reduce your bill:
- Install a programmable thermostat.
- Check your air ducts to ensure there are no leaks.
- Properly insulate your home.
- Perform regular maintenance on the system.
- Change the air filters regularly.
- Open the curtains or shades to let sunlight in to add heat.