Is your home warmer than it should be even with the air conditioner running? Is there frost forming on your system’s evaporator coil? These can all signal an AC refrigerant leak. If you suspect you have a leak you need to call a professional to inspect and repair it. Call Guardian Home Services for same-day appointments in Cobourg, ON.
When your air conditioning system is struggling to cool your home to the desired temperature, have an AC contractor inspect the unit as soon as possible. Learn about our air conditioning repair services.
Signs You Have a Refrigerant Leak
To fully cool your home to its desired temperature, you need to ensure you have the right amount of refrigerant. If there’s a leak it can put a strain on your unit, as the copper refrigeration lines must work harder to cool the air that passes through your system.
If you notice the following symptoms you should have a professional inspect your unit to determine if you have a refrigerant leak:
- Loss of cooling power: Your system must work harder to cool your property as the refrigerant levels drop. If you notice a gradual change in the temperature in your home, it can signal a leak.
- Formation of ice or frost: If you notice ice or frost around the evaporator coil it can be a symptom of a leak. As refrigerant leaks out of your system and the charge drops too low, it can prevent the evaporator coil from absorbing heat to warm the cold refrigerant, leading to frost and ice.
- Hissing sounds: If you hear a hissing sound coming from your unit, it can signal a leak. Even a small, pin-needle sized leak can cause a hissing sound.
Why Professionals Need to Handle Refrigerant Leaks
If you suspect you have a refrigerant leak, call a professional to inspect and repair the issue. You need an AC contractor to handle the refrigerant leak to ensure:
- The leak is located and sealed.
- The refrigerant is handled safely, as it can be dangerous to those who come into contact with it.
- The correct type of refrigerant is used to recharge your AC unit.
- The lines are filled with the correct amount of refrigerant.
Do you suffer from dry skin or irritated sinuses in the winter months? Ask us how our humidifier services can benefit you.
Main Causes of Refrigerant Leaks
Refrigerant leaks can be common problems with air conditioning units. Some potential causes of the leaks can include:
- The formation of formic acid that can come from the copper lines used to protect the lines.
- Vibrations in the air conditioning system.
- Weaking joints or connections.
To prevent these leaks you should have your AC unit professionally maintained and cleaned at least once a year. The contractor can inspect issues that can potentially lead to leaks.