Is your air conditioner running but your house still feels warm and stuffy? It could be a signal that the evaporator coil in your AC system needs to be repaired. Call Guardian Home Services to have one of our AC contractors inspect the component and determine if it needs to be repaired or replaced. We guarantee 100% satisfaction and same-day appointments to our neighbours in Cobourg, ON.
Is it becoming too costly to keep repairing your air conditioner? It can be time to replace the unit. Learn about our air conditioner installation services.
Why it’s Important to Schedule Timely Evaporator Coil Services
While it might seem like a minor part, the AC evaporator coil plays an important role in your air conditioning system. This component helps your property reach its desired temperature. Because of this it’s important to have it serviced as soon as possible. Some benefits of scheduling timely evaporator coil services can include:
- Cost savings: Finding a problem with your evaporator coil early can be the difference in having an AC contractor repair the component versus replacing it. Also, the earlier the issue is detected, the more likely it can be fixed or replaced under warranty.
- Increased comfort: A malfunctioning component can cause your home to be warmer than you’d like, as the air conditioner relies on the part to properly cool your home. Repairing the issue quickly can help restore comfort to your home ASAP.
- Energy efficiency: Your air conditioner can continue to run even with a malfunctioning evaporator coil, but it will use more energy as it tries to cool your home to the set temperature.
3 Common Issues Associated with Evaporator Coils
A malfunctioning evaporator coil can cause other issues in your air conditioning system. Some of the common problems it can cause include:
- Refrigerant leaks: When you suspect you have a refrigerant leak you should seek professional services. This substance should only be handled by an AC contractor, as he or she will use proper safety guidelines when handling the refrigerant. The professional can also inspect and repair the leak and charge the system with the correct amount of coolant.
- Unpleasant odors: Does your home smell musty, or like a dirty sock? This is a symptom of a malfunctioning evaporator coil. This is caused by mold and bacteria buildup on the coil. When air is cooled it attracts water vapor, and the vapor condenses and drips onto the coil. In a functioning system the evaporation removes the moisture before it causes any problems. But if the coil isn’t working properly, the moisture can remain too long and bacteria and mold can form.
- Frozen coils: A functioning coil is around 32 degrees Fahrenheit, which is at the freezing point for water. If the component isn’t functioning properly and water remains on the coil for too long, it will freeze and the blades can coat with ice. This can cause a blocked coil, as well as frost to build up.
Does your home feel sticky, even when the AC unit is running? You might need another option to remove moisture from the air. Contact us to learn about our dehumidifier services.
Maintenance Steps that can Help Prevent AC Evaporator Coil Issues
To keep your evaporator coil functioning properly -- which will allow your air conditioner to work as expected -- it’s important to keep it properly maintained. In addition to having your AC unit and all of its components inspected by an AC contractor at least once a year, other ways you can keep the evaporator coil maintained are to:
- Keep the coils clean and dry.
- Remove any debris that comes into contact with the unit.
- Check the air ducts for any clogs or leaks.
Change the air filters regularly, about once every three months. This will prevent the filters from becoming clogged, which can cause your AC system to overwork and can allow pollutants into your indoor air. Blocked filters can also pose a threat to your safety. If they are out of position they can interfere with the blower assembly, which can cause the fan to jam and potentially overheat and start a fire.