When the summer heat and humidity hit, the last thing you want to do is walk into a steamy house. To get the relief you deserve, you need a working air conditioning system. When you need an air conditioning service company that offers same-day appointments and on-site estimates, call Guardian Home Services for appointments in the Cobourg, ON area.
Air conditioning solutions we offer:
- Emergency Air Conditioning Repairs
- Air Conditioning Repair and Maintenance
- Air Conditioning Installation and Replacement
- Air Handler Services
- Evaporator Coil Services
- AC Refrigerant Leak
- Ductless Mini Split Systems
- Heat Pump Services
- Ductwork Services
- Air Quality
- Air Cleaning & Filtration
- Filter Replacement
- Commercial HVAC
Does your AC unit need to be replaced? Learn about our air conditioning installation services.
Signs You Need to Replace Your AC System
Before you’re stuck enduring a hot, stuffy house on a steamy summer day, be proactive in replacing your air conditioning unit. If you notice these symptoms, it can signal you need to install a new system:
- Age: Your unit is older than 15 years old and nearing the end of its life expectancy.
- High utility bills: Your unit is losing efficiency, resulting in higher utility bills.
- Less effective: Your property is no longer reaching a desirable temperature, or you feel cold air coming from the unit but it’s not blowing as strongly as it should be.
- Multiple repairs: You’ve recently had to make multiple repairs to the unit.
- Major repair: You need a major or costly repair, such as a new motor or compressor.
- Leaks: Your unit is leaking.
- Noises: You hear strange sounds coming from your unit, which can signal an issue with your motor.
How to Save on Cooling Costs
Keeping your home cool in the summer months can cause your utility bills to increase. Fortunately, there are ways to reduce cooling costs and still keep your home comfortable.
- Ensure that your home is properly insulated to keep hot air from seeping in.
- Replace air filters regularly -- about every three months -- to allow the unit to operate at its full capabilities.
- Get a tune-up by a professional at least once a year.
- Install a programmable thermostat.
- Reduce your thermostat by a few degrees. It will save energy, and you are unlikely to notice the difference.
- Replace your outdated system with a new, more energy-efficient one.
- Use fans to help circulate the air around the house and make it feel cooler.
- Close drapes on sunny days to keep the heat out.
Do you want an alternative to a traditional air conditioning unit? Get information on ductless mini split AC systems.
Common Problems With AC Units
While we like to think that our air conditioning systems will work flawlessly all summer, unfortunately, from time-to-time the unit will need to be repaired. Most of these problems are common and can be repaired by contractors. Some typical problems can include:
- No cold air: The most noticeable problem with your AC unit is if it is not producing cold air, even when the thermostat is turned to the lowest setting.
- Over working: If air is not flowing through your vents properly it can cause your system to work harder than necessary to cool your property. This can cause your monthly bills to increase.
- Malfunctioning thermostat: If you have hot and cold spots throughout your home, these can be caused by a malfunctioning thermostat.
- Leak: If there’s moisture around the unit it can be caused by a blocked drain tube. The moisture can also be refrigerant, which can be dangerous, so any substances should be inspected by a professional.